A great journey in progress!

Friday, October 27, 2006

BEWARE SCAMMERS!!!

My friend Monte asked me to put up some speakers for sale on Craigslist, I did. Within an hour we got a hit from someone who wanted to purchase them. We were both surprised by the seemly instantaneous response we got from this guy named Johnson A. He fed us a sob story about losing his wife and how she promised his son, some nice speakers. I didn’t believe his story, but hey we were both willing to give the benefit of the doubt to him. He said he made a Western Union money order through them and even faked up a Western union confirmation email letter. Ok, that was Wednesday. I lost my power for a couple of days and when I went back on this evening, I reread the emails and I decided to call western union myself concerning this matter. They don’t even do an auction site and they don’t send out confirmation emails, as of December 31. Beware of anyone who is using this method to deceive you, when you are selling items on the internet.
This is what you should do, this is what saved Monte and I a headache of him losing his speakers and for me having the headache of dealing with this stuff.
1) Check the persons zip code that they give you to be sure it is a legitimate one.
2) if he is sending a western union money order, call western union. Do not be deceive by an email from w_u_confirmation letter@post.com . This is not a legitimate western union address.
3) do not for absolutely no reason send anything without payment, that is real.

No comments: