A great journey in progress!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

More

As I wrote in my previous post, I have opted to receive the laparoscopic lap band system to aid me in losing weight. I researched all the options, when everything else fails, you sometimes have to go within and receive help in treating your problem. The lap band is an adjustable procedure. It is a laparoscopic procedure with no more than a 24 hour hospital stay. It has a low mortality rate, it is least invasive approach compared to the gastric bypass, there is a low risk of operative complications, and there is no cutting, stapling, or intestinal re-routing involved at all. All things that helped me sway towards this procedure in the first place.
I am at the beginning stages of the process, I made this decision, mailed in my application for approval and now I have to wait impatiently for approval for the surgery. I’m nervous and scared that I will not be accepted, but at the same time, I am hopeful too. I know all the requirements, that this is a lifetime of changes that I must met and change. Eating for emotional comfort or just because I am bored has to stop. I have to get more exercise and make that a priority. I also have to go to all my doctor appointments, and take care of my body. I do not want to be unable to function and require more help in the future. Things have to change and I have to put all of my gumption into this life altering decision that I have made. It is going to be a challenge, I’m going to have to step outside of my normal comfort zone and seek the help that I need, I can’t be a bystander and think I can do it myself. I can’t be ashamed anymore of how I am or what is going on in my life. This is going to be a huge undertaking and I sometimes feel that I do not have the strength to meet all the challenges that are impending, but I also know that I cannot go on living the way that I am either. This is what has been going on for the last few months, among other life changing events, but this is the one that has been the most on my mind.

No comments: