A great journey in progress!

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Inner Gardening

Diane Dreher takes a look at cultivating your soul, along with the dirt in her book “Inner Gardening”. She intermingles the different seasons, along side the seasons of our lives with thought provoking candor and deeply thought out questions for you. It gives you a challenge to analyze yourself along with the dirt you are sinking your hands into. I don’t have a plot of my own to put my garden tools into and produce my dream garden, I can still appreciate her passion, she exclaims with joy over her found treasures in her garden. She talks about her trials, tribulations, and appreciation for everything living in her garden, even the slugs she despises. She inspired me to make my own patio garden, the one I have been mulling and dreaming about since I moved here to Vancouver over a year ago. I got my list of plants that I want to plant, and I have it laid out in my mind what I want it to look like. I am finding the sacred in what I do have and what I can do with what I have. Dreher pushes through her resistance with grace, dignity, and honesty and that is the motto of her book. Even if you don’t like getting your hands dirty in soil or care about how things grow and in what season, you will surely learn about your own growth with this book.

No comments: