A great journey in progress!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Phenomenal Woman

I heard this poem being read by Maya Angelou awhile back and I saw it in a book that I am reading and I love it so much. I wanted to share.


Phenomenal Woman
By Maya Angelou
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size, but when I start to tell them, they think I’m telling lies. I say, it’s in the reach of my arms, the span of my hips, the stride in my step, the curl of my lips. I’m a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that’s me. I walk into a room just as cool as you please, and to a man, the fellows stand or fall down on their knees. Then they swarm around me, a hive of honey bees. I say, It’s the fire in my eyes, and the flash of my teeth, the swing in my waist, and the joy in my feet. I’m a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that’s me. Men themselves have wondered what they see in me. They try so much but they can’t touch my inner mystery. When I try to show them, they say they still can’t see. I say, it’s in the arch of my back, the sun of my smile, the ride of my breasts, the grace of my style. I’m a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that’s me. Now you understand just why my head’s not bowed. I don’t shout or jump about or have to talk real loud. When you see me passing it ought to make you proud. I say, it’s in the click of my heels, the bend in my hair, the palm of my hand, the need for my care. ‘Cause I’m a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that’s me.

No comments: